Friday, October 5, 2007

Inspirational Poems by A.S.Balasooriya

  • Dance of fireflies
adores the moonlit night


  • The cranes roosting on the wild tree by the river,

keep watching the moon’s reflection

on the running water.


  • The hungry man’s legs could

standing no more

when he smelled a roasting food

in a wayside house.


  • Butterfly:

The world is full of flowers

Bee:

The world is full of honey

The fly:

The world is of full of filth.


  • The child sends his kite

to the dream world

of the future.


  • Standing by the pond in silence

A stream of joy rising within.

I don’t want to inquire why.


  • A priest is in a jet.

But his belief is

in a bullock cart.


  • Never ask a bird

Why and to whom

you are singing.


  • To the dead peacock:

When you were dancing

there wasn’t a clue of death.


  • The man who incessantly

talked is now silent.

This is the moment of repentance.


  • A wave of fragrance of jasmine flowers

Sweeping through the sermon hall.

Even the preacher stops for a moment to breathe it.


  • Whenever I cross the river

It is always new water.


  • I returned to the old village of my youthful days

after thirty five years.

Where are the dear fellows

then known to me!


  • A recluse lying down

under a tree in the grove.

‘Any place is home.

to me who has renounced my home’


  • The ugly faced man who married

a beautiful lady

has never said to her: ‘You are beautiful’


  • O! Food!

I bear up all the hardship

of the world because of you.


  • The priest in the temple

who was has been calling God

for half a century

missed to make out Him

when He appeared at last.


  • The distant dangers

Are closer than they appear to be.



  • Only when I rested away from

the game I had been playing

I happened to know

what it was really!

Now I play it knowingly.


  • When the doer ceases to be

Action blooms like a flower.


Excerpts from A.S.Balasooriya’s Book of Poetry: Dew Drops on the Lotus.( Script )

No comments: